All Praise is for Allah and Peace and Blessings be on the Messenger of Allah
Ottawa Muslim Cemetery
he Ottawa Muslim Cemetery Inc. (OMC) was incorporated as a not- for-profit, charitable organization (Charitable Registration No. 894375187RR0001), to establish a cemetery for the Muslim community in the Ottawa-Gatineau region and to provide a means for the Muslim community to follow the requirements of Islamic funeral observances.
In 1994 work began to establish the first Muslim cemetery in the Nation’s Capital. As the Muslim population continues to grow, the need for a Muslim cemetery to complement the funeral services and related facilities at mosques is a priority to ensure that the Islamic traditions of burial are preserved for our families now and in the future.
Over the years members of the Muslim community have promoted and raised funds for the development of a cemetery. It has been a challenge not only to find an appropriate plot of land for the cemetery but also to raise sufficient funds to complete the project.
Finally in 2005 an appropriate plot of land was acquired by the OMC and subsequent development work was done to obtain a cemetery licence (Lic: 4710458) in 2008 and to prepare the property to be used as a cemetery. The cemetery property is thirty acres in size and approximately 13 acres are being developed which will serve the Muslim community for many generations to come.
After over 100 years of Muslim presence in Ottawa, there is finally a Muslim cemetery that is owned and operated by the Muslim community that will meet their unique needs based on Islamic principles and values. The Muslim community has been very patient in waiting for the development of this cemetery and it will now be able to manage all aspects of its funeral arrangements.
Our gratitude is first to Allah our Creator, and to the members of the Muslim community for their generosity and unending support.
By pre-ordering burial lots or by making donations, we can continue to develop other sections of the Cemetery property.
Thank you for your support and we encourage you to be generous.
*Official Tax receipts will be issued for all donations.
Hours of Operation
- Daylight hours every day, including holidays
- May to August: 10am – 8pm
- September to October: 10am – 6pm
- November to April : 10am – 4pm
- Monday to Friday: 9:30 am – 4pm
- After hours, Weekends and Holidays by Appointment.
To Order A Burial Lot
Contact us by telephone or by EMAIL for an appointment
Why order your lot now?
- Pre-arranged funeral – Peace of mind for you and your family (make it part of your estate planning)
- Protects your family against inflation (future increased costs)
- Protects against high cash outlay at time of funeral
- A sound investment
- Lowest cost of a burial lot in the region
- Lot is transferrable if not used or needed
- Helps to provide funds to further develop cemetery
FOR BURIAL ARRANGEMENT
PHONE HOTLINE 613-851-7444
- To establish a cemetery in the National Capital Region to serve the Muslim community
- To provide affordable burial services for the benefit of the Muslim community
- To effectively manage the cemetery on a self-sufficient basis
- To promote understanding, education and observance of Islamic funeral rites
- OMC established as a federal not-for-profit, charitable community organization in 1994
- Governed in accordance with the Funeral, Burial and Cremation Services Act of Ontario
- Managed by volunteer Board of Directors from the Muslim community
- Advisory body from Imams and adherence to Islamic principles and values
- Projected yield of 10,000 grave lots
30 acres in size with 13.5 acres currently dedicated to burial plots
- Initial phase to establish core infrastructure and meet current needs; subsequent phases to be developed later as needed
- Access and burials every day of the year, including holidays
- 28 kilometres south of downtown Ottawa